Since establishing independence in 1961, Sierra Leone, has suffered from various conflicts, injustices and plagues including a civil war that lasted from 1991 to 2002 and the famous Ebola crisis in 2015. even though, Sierra Leone is a resource-rich country, it still is negotiating the depth of poverty, illiteracy, and epidemic disease with approximately 60% of people below the poverty line.
However, when we first visited this country in 2016, we noticed that in the midst of their hardship, there was a certain pride, a certain generosity, contentment, and above all a thirst for spiritual quench. Their dream humble and uncomplicated… to feed, clothe, and brighten the future of the younger generation. Their worship felt genuine and their relationship with God intimately pure, honest and bold. When they prayed, they prayed their hearts out and in their faith, they were bravely all in.
It‘s been a privilege for ILF to partake and be an ambassador of God’s love ever since; and Empower, Equip, Engage and Serve the communities like Mankneh, Mamaso, Mangay Loko and others in Bambali district.
This quote by an unknown author surely resonates on how 2020 impacted us all. A year that in the wake of all hardships, divisions, and adversities, it also presented the opportunity to experience and practice the value of compassion, love, and hope, much of what we’ve experienced in Africa. Doing ministry in Sierra Leone has taught us that “obedience” is as much spiritual restraint “to be quiet at times and know that He is Lord” as well as the boldness to step out “and be the light and the salt of the world”. An opportunity to rest in the truth that That even though it is not our job to save the world, we are called to serve a King (through faith and good works) who gave up His life to save ours(. We pray and hope to continue this same outlook as we seek God’s vision, guidance, and clarity for our ministry in 2021.
Here are some of the projects that we hope to accomplish in 2021:
- Adding to ILF’s current sustainability programs by starting a brick-making project. A micro business opportunity for the locals providing gainful employment for up to 100 workers.
- Building upon our current Child Sponsorship Program and connect 200 children and loving sponsors.
- Building a secondary school to expand Christian education to higher grade levels.
- And our biggest hope is to train pastors and mobilize a supporting team to expand ILF’s “Holistic Revival Outreach” to as many villages as possible within a 10km radius.
The Impact A Life Board of Directors
Grace in Action: February Spotlight
As a result of your generosity support to ILF’s Child Sponsorship program, Every student in the community is now receiving a warm meal, 3 times a week.
Pictured are students of the Revive Christian School during a lunch time meal provided by ILF local staff.
ILF Holistic Ministry
In this month’s three part series, we learn that a “Holistic Dynamic Community” focuses on:
- Nurturing loving, accountable and reconciling relationships within the community.
- Ministry leaders to upheld with vision, courage, integrity, and a passion for holistic mission.
- Places every area of individual and community life under the Lordship of Jesus Christ, without distinction between “sacred” and “secular.”
ILF’s holistic ministry entails more than sponsoring a program. It goes beyond short-term, relief-oriented aid. It is a promise of hope, it is a confirmation of God’s grace. Thank you for helping us to make an impact.